Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Feast and Famine, Vegan and Carnivore?

I just read this article.  Don Matesz was a "Paleo" follower for 15 or so years, but has gone against that to follow a more Eastern philosophy when it comes to mind, body, and nutrition. I read many "paleo" style blogs, and I really enjoy his blog to gather a different perspective.  I have been following this blog here for a while now, this article is linked to another one of his blogs.

Article link: Study: Meat-free diet quickly improves mood of omnivores



My thoughts?  I don't know that I fully agree with a vegetarian diet, but maybe a meat-all-the-time diet isn't right either.  I used to be a "Paleo Diet" believer, but have slightly changed my view after personal experimentation, and reading through many other points of view.  I have found that eating the best quality food I can provide for my family is the best for me.  Currently I eat meat, or animal products, almost every meal (sans morning breakfast, which I rarely eat) and vegetables.  No beans and almost no grains, except occasionally bread, noodles, and rice.  But I do enjoy thinking of how my hunter-gatherer ancestors would have lived their day-to-day lives from a nutritional perspective. 

I often think about hunting and fishing as means for food as opposed to my readily available 24/7 sources such as restaurants, grocery stores, and my deep freeze full of meat.  How would it work in reality if I had to hunt/fish to support myself and family...I'd get skunked all the time!!!  I'm likely to catch one legally eatable fish per self-guided trip about half the time, and I don't know how to hunt (yet!).  But I can always walk through the woods and find a vegan meal on the ground and in the trees through weeds, fruit, and seeds.

So should I model my diet after a feast and famine approach to eating, while mixing days of pure vegan-ism with that of an insatiable carnivore?  Maybe this is something to consider when planning my meals.  We didn't always get 100% or our vitamins, minerals, protein, or carbohydrate intakes every single day, and sometimes we probably got way more than 100% of one of those categories...so why are we so worried about it now (I'm talking to you super supplement taker!)?

I think I'll try it.  I'll eat like a grazing raw vegan one day, 18-24 hour fast the next day, and end it with a intense workout to simulate a hard hunt.  Then destroy a couple double-thick cut chops, bowl of slow cooked greens, and a big ol' baked potato.  The next couple days eat like normal, reducing the animal products and increasing the vegan choices, rinse and repeat!

Will I be happier on my vegan days, or clouded by hunger pangs?  Will my hard workouts improve or feel better?  Is this even a plan that is sustainable for any amount of time?  Guess I'll have to try it and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment